NARRATED BY CATE BLANCHETT
REFUGEE, the film and exhibition, will be on view at
the Annenberg Space for Photography in Los Angeles
April 23–August 21
Los Angeles — The Annenberg Space for Photography’s upcoming exhibition REFUGEE will feature a documentary narrated by UNHCR High Profile Supporter, Academy Award-winning actor Cate Blanchett. The film is part of the Annenberg Foundation’s groundbreaking new exhibition of photography illuminating the global refugee crisis. The show opens April 23rd. Learn more about the exhibit: www.thephotospace.org/refugee
Watch the Trailer:
The 23-minute film, REFUGEE, follows five internationally–acclaimed photographers commissioned by the Annenberg Foundation to shoot pictures documenting the lives of displaced people on five continents expressly for this exhibit. We see:
- Pulitzer Prize-winning combat and human rights photographer Lynsey Addario covering the Rohingya Muslims, a disenfranchised minority in the predominantly Buddhist nation of Myanmar
- Fashion and fine art photographer Omar Victor Diop creating gorgeous portraits of refugee mothers who have fled with their babies from the Central African Republic to neighboring Cameroon
- Graciela Iturbide — whose photography hangs in the Metropolitan Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art — shooting displaced families in Colombia who fled their homes to escape guerilla warfare and drug cartel violence
- Martin Schoeller — whose signature high-intensity close-ups appear everywhere from National Geographic to Time, Vogue, GQ and The New Yorker — creating portraits of refugees newly resettled here in the U.S.
- And we’re with acclaimed British photojournalist Tom Stoddart as he follows the path of refugees fleeing to Europe — arriving on smugglers’ boats washing up on the shores of Greece, getting stuck in the no-man’s-land between Croatia and Slovenia, and finally reaching Berlin.
The documentary captures the dramatic moments behind the stunning images hanging in the exhibition, as well as the photographers’ own reactions to what they’re shooting.
The film REFUGEE was commissioned by the Annenberg Foundation, chaired by Wallis Annenberg. The film was shot and produced by London-based Tiger Nest Films. Executive Producer is Cinny Kennard of the Annenberg Foundation. Senior Producer is Roberta Hollander.
The REFUGEE exhibition opens to the public at the Annenberg Space for Photography on April 23, 2016 and runs through August 21, 2016.