LOS ANGELES, CA – The Annenberg Space for Photography Skylight Studios today announced the June 6 opening of Emerging Experience. The multimedia installation, which includes a Gravity Room, is a playful and engaging experience that merges fantasy and reality. Imagery will focus on three different themes: Taste (June 6 – July 12), Sound (July 13 – August 16) and Style (August 17 – September 20). Work by artists who are challenging photographic boundaries and embracing new social media movements will be featured.Emerging Experience celebrates the latest talents and trends, as well as crowd-sourced digital content.
Emerging Experience kicks off with an exploration of Taste.
Taste Multimedia Artists
The screens of Skylight Studios will be filled with multimedia video pieces spotlighting the theme of Taste. Features include the documentary short “Howard’s Farm” by Ivan Cash, a day-in-the-life story about an 89-year-old farmer; “Flatten” by Hugo de Kok and Kay van Vree, a musically driven stop-motion film about the forms and shapes of food when flattened; as well as a behind-the-scenes film about the geographic food maps created by artists Henry Hargreaves and Caitlin Levine. Taste will also include the work of two artists who have developed highly engaged and dedicated followings through their clever six-second films for Vine:
Meagan Cignoli, a Cannes Lion award-winning director and photographer, started creating videos on Vine at its infancy after her long and successful career as a photographer. Cignoli’s personal Vine work quickly attracted the attention of household brands and agencies. Together with her team of creatives at Visual Country, she has produced over 200 Vine, Instagram and high res video campaigns.
Wahyu Ichwandardi, otherwise known as Pinot, is an Indonesian illustrator and animator. His innovative films have attracted more than 350,000 followers on Vine and earned recognition including selection as a finalist for the Audience Awards in the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival’s #6SecFilms competition.
#EmergingTaste Interactive Installation
This crowd-sourced showcase gives gastronomy enthusiasts a digital voice and allows the public to weigh in on the next big thing in the culinary world. Everyone is encouraged to post foodie photos on Instagram using #EmergingTaste. Select submissions will be featured in Emerging Experience‘s interactive installation.
Skylight Studios in collaboration with the Annenberg Space for Photography will hold a variety of taste-centric events:
- Saturday, June 13 (2-4pm) – Renowned LA-based chefs Dan Mattern and Roxana Jullapat discuss the making of their new cookbook “The Cooks Almanac” along with photographer Noé Montes.
- Saturday, June 13 (6-8pm) – Chefs Dan Mattern and Roxana Jullapat cook up a small plates-style tasting menu featuring dishes from their upcoming cookbook (for VIP ticket holders).
- Sunday, June 14 (11am-1pm) – Photographer and food stylist Julie Lee leads a workshop on transforming pictures with a crash course in mobile food photography using the signature summer sandwich you create.
- Sunday, June 20 (3:30-6pm) – “Manhattan Project” Mixology Class with The Cocktail Lab.
- Wednesday, June 24 – DinnerLab hosts a pop-up dinner for their members following a private viewing of the Emerging exhibit at the Annenberg Space for Photography.
- Saturday, June 27 (10am-4pm) and Sunday, June 28 (2:30-5:30pm) – Photographer Gerd Ludwig hosts two days of events related to his July 2015 National Geographic article documenting Los Angeles-area food trucks. On Saturday, Ludwig will lead an advanced photography workshop, and then on Sunday he will offer a beginners’ photography workshop following a food truck panel and tasting.
Skylight Studio’s Interactive Gravity Room
The playful and innovative Gravity Room allows visitors to turn the art of photography on its side. An off-kilter set creates the illusion that guests are defying gravity. This upended playground provides a fun photo opportunity.
For more information including times, registration fees and registration information, please visit annenbergphotospace.org/events.
Emerging Experience officially opens on June 6 and will run through September 20, 2015.