Leadership Seminar is Alchemy’s signature course and the first phase of training. Alchemy’s focus is on the working relationship between the Executive Director and the Board Chair, which is why the presence of both parties at all training sessions is required.
The seminar consists of three full-day sessions. Critical issues covered are Board effectiveness, fundraising and financial sustainability.
To apply for Alchemy Leadership Seminar:
- Your organization must be a qualified 501(c)(3) public charity.
- Your organization must be located in Los Angeles, Ventura, Orange, San Bernardino or Riverside County.
- Your organization must have a functioning Board of Directors/Trustees.
Leadership Seminar Day 1: Board Governance
- Assessing the Board, Board building cycles and committees
- Recruitment, diversity and creating a sustainable Board structure
- Board Governance 101: review of consent agenda and its purpose, roles & responsibilities, Board agreements and other key aspects to effective Board development
Leadership Seminar Day 2: Building Your Fundraising Muscle
- Building your donor pyramid, exploring major gift campaigns
- Individual giving campaigns, creating a sustainable donor base
- Communicating and fundraising for your cause
Leadership Seminar Day 3: Financials Overview & Management
- Exploring types of budgets, actuals vs. accrued, budgeting basics and best practices
- Reviewing 990 forms and audited financials, using them effectively to tell your financial story
- How to diversify for-income resources, exploring fee-for-service and social enterprise models